Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Playing catch up

So much has gone on since January and my last post. Zack is doing good and we saw Dr Pachman twice since our last visit. She is pleased with the way he looks and is feeling. We have gone down on his prednisone to only once a day. I can't wait for him to be off of meds. He has had multiple tests done and all have come out clean. Whew! He still continues to do his infusions every 4 weeks and those are helping out like a gem. We are going to continue them until they stop working.

We decided early this year to become a puppy raiser for the Guide Dog for the Blind organization. We got our puppy in March and we have fallen in love with her. She is a black lab puppy and her name is Patsy and is 7 mo old. This is what the picture is of. This has been an experience like I never thought it would be. I'm not sure how she will be as a guide dog but I really feel she could be a therapy dog as she is so comforting to Zack when he is sick or doing infusions. We have her another year and yes it will break our hearts to give her back. It's for the greater good and we are helping someone else, that is what we keep reminding ourselves.

Zack went to camp this year for 5 days and had an amazing time! He went to a camp sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation called Camp Milagros. He did somethings he has never done and had an experience he will never forget. He cant wait for next year. When I get the photos I will post them on here.

We did little traveling this year but we did go visit my sister in Texas and on his first day there learned to swim and now swims as if he was born swimming. He has taken swim lessons since he was 3 and cried every year and hated it. He spent the summer swimming with his cousin Anthony. He had a blast. It is so comforting that I can let him swim and not worry about his safety. It is a huge accomplishment for him.

Zack started 4th grade today....I still can not believe he is 9. It was just yesterday I was helping him walk. He had a great day and so far enjoys his teacher...no homework yet. Ha Ha Ha. It's a big year, he plays on the big kid side of the playground now. He gets to hang out with 6th graders (does he even know 6th graders?)now and that's pretty cool!

He continues to thrive and make big steps in life, We are so proud of him and he is the funniest kid and makes us all laugh non-stop.

1 comment:

Liz C. said...

Amazing kid, taking after an amazing momma.

Dermatomyositis


**DER MA TOE MY O SIGH TIS**

This is my way of sounding out his condition. It took me forever to try and say it and this is how I break it down.